In 1940 the airport opened up as Gibbs Field. During Word War II it was acquired and used by the United States Air Force in connection with Ryan School of Aeronautic in Hemet to train military pilots. In 1950 the city of San Diego changed the name of the airfield to Montgomery Field in honor of John J. Montgomery who made the first flight in a fixed wing aircraft in the San Diego area in 1883.
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar – TOPGUN
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.