Twentynine Palms airport is located only a few miles south of the Twentynine Palms restricted airspace and marine base. Like many of the other airports in the desert, Twentynine Palms was built in 1942 and used by the United States Army Air Forces. At the air base, the Air Force trained pilots in gliders, Fairchild PT-19, PT-17 Stearmans and a few P-40 Warhawks. The airport is at an elevation of 1888 ft and has two runways that are perpendicular to handle the various wind directions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.